Doing Your Part
For more than 121 years, SC Johnson has demonstrated our commitment to doing what's right. We're going to keep doing what's right, and we hope you will as well.
Whether you're recycling, volunteering in your community, or buying Windex® Glass Cleaner, you can make positive choices each and every day.
This section of our site includes many ways that you can make a difference. Do it for your family...and for every family. We will too.
Don't Waste a Drop — Ways to Save Water
- When washing dishes, don't let the water run while rinsing. Fill one sink with wash water and the other with rinse water.
- Wash clothes only when you have a full load — you'll save hundreds of litres each month.
- Ice left in your cup after a meal? Don't toss it down the sink; put it on a plant instead so the water will do some good when it melts.
- Turning off the water while you shampoo and condition your hair can save up to 200 litres a week.
- Set a kitchen timer when watering your lawn or garden, so you don't forget and let the water run too long.
- Turning off the water while you brush your teeth can save over ten litres a minute.
- Soak dirty pots and pans rather than letting the water run while you scrape them clean.
- Teach children to turn the faucets off tightly after each use.
- When doing laundry, always match the water level to the size of the load, and don't use more than you need.
Keep Our Air Clean — Ways to Avoid Air Pollution
- Drive less — walk to run errands, telecommute, share a ride to work. If you eliminate one car trip per week, you will stop hundreds of kilograms of pollution per year.
- When you do drive, drive smart. Accelerating gradually and using cruise control helps keep pollution to a minimum.
- If you think you'll be stopped for more than two minutes, turn off your car. Idling for longer than two minutes burns more fuel than restarting.
- Look for products that are water-based and have low or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) — like Windex® glass cleaner from which we removed over 800 tonnes of VOCs using the Greenlist™ process.
Shop Wisely — Ways to Save in Stores
- Know what materials you can recycle locally and buy items in those types of packaging.
- Buying electronics? Plan to use rechargeable batteries. You can save hundreds of dollars a year, plus avoid all those dead batteries going into landfills.
- Don't take paper or plastic bags. Instead, bring your own cloth bag to the supermarket.
- Buy recycled products whenever you can. Whether it's computer paper or plastic items, items with recycled content have less impact on the planet.
- Buy in bulk to eliminate excess packaging, then repackage into smaller reusable containers like Ziploc® Brand Twist 'n Loc™ containers.
Manage Power Use — Ways to Save Energy
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs — they draw less energy and last longer.
- Air-dry dishes instead of using your dishwasher's drying cycle.
- Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use — even on standby mode they still draw power.
- Lower the thermostat on your hot water heater to 50° C or lower.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.